Changes/additions to materials: (reviewed 9/9/10):
New NICE guidance
Since these materials were published, NICE has issued guidance on the following:
• Rheumatoid arthritis - drugs for treatment after failure of a TNF inhibitor (adalimumab▼, etanercept▼, infliximab, rituximab and abatacept▼). This technology appraisal (TA195) replaces several previous NICE technology appraisals (TA141, TA126 and TA36).
• Tocilizumab▼ for rheumatoid arthritis (TA198).
• Etanercept▼, infliximab and adalimumab▼ for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. This technology appraisal (TA199) replaces TA125 and TA104.
NICE has published guidance (TA186) recommending certolizumab pegol▼ as an option for the treatment of adults with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) only if:
• the drug is used in the same way as defined in the NICE TA130 for adalimumab▼, etanercept▼ and infliximab, and
• the manufacturer provides the first 12 weeks of certolizumab pegol▼ free of charge to all patients starting treatment.
More information is contained in the On the Horizon Stop Press No. 1135
It should be noted that abatacept▼, adalimumab▼, certolizumab pegol▼, etanercept▼ and tocilizumab▼ are black triangle drugs under intensive surveillance by the MHRA. Unfortunately the black triangles have been omitted in part 5 of this workshop.
On this page you will find a series of workshops using a multimedia presentation of PowerPoint slides with audio commentary by the NPC team. You will need speakers and a sound card in your computer.
The outline of each short presentation is given below. Simply click on one of the underlined links and then click on the play icon to begin. You can jump forwards to skip a slide or backwards to repeat a slide by clicking the relevant slide on the left hand side of the console.
Section 1 Whats new? update and summary (03mins 49secs)
Section 2 Overview and NICE guidance 2009 (12mins 59secs)
Section 3 Symptom control (analgesics and NSAIDs) (12mins 05secs)
Section 4a Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) (16mins 46secs)
Section 4b Glucocorticoids (11min 12secs)
Section 5 Biological drugs (14mins 36secs)