Changes/additions to materials: (reviewed 9/9/10):
New NICE guidance
Since these materials were published, NICE has issued guidance on the following:
• Rheumatoid arthritis - drugs for treatment after failure of a TNF inhibitor (adalimumab▼, etanercept▼, infliximab, rituximab and abatacept▼). This technology appraisal (TA195) replaces several previous NICE technology appraisals (TA141, TA126 and TA36).
• Tocilizumab▼ for rheumatoid arthritis (TA198).
• Etanercept▼, infliximab and adalimumab▼ for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. This technology appraisal (TA199) replaces TA125 and TA104.
NICE has published guidance (TA186) recommending certolizumab pegol▼ as an option for the treatment of adults with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) only if:
• the drug is used in the same way as defined in the NICE TA130 for adalimumab▼, etanercept▼ and infliximab, and
• the manufacturer provides the first 12 weeks of certolizumab pegol▼ free of charge to all patients starting treatment.
More information is contained in the On the Horizon Stop Press No. 1135.
View or download this PowerPoint presentation. You may find it useful in discussions about the therapeutics of rheumatoid arthritis. Extensive notes for each slide are available in the word file.