Changes/additions to materials: (reviewed 9/9/10):
New NICE guidance
Since these materials were published, NICE has issued guidance on the following:
• Rheumatoid arthritis - drugs for treatment after failure of a TNF inhibitor (adalimumab▼, etanercept▼, infliximab, rituximab and abatacept▼). This technology appraisal (TA195) replaces several previous NICE technology appraisals (TA141, TA126 and TA36).
• Tocilizumab▼ for rheumatoid arthritis (TA198).
• Etanercept▼, infliximab and adalimumab▼ for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. This technology appraisal (TA199) replaces TA125 and TA104.
NICE has published guidance (TA186) recommending certolizumab pegol▼ as an option for the treatment of adults with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) only if:
• the drug is used in the same way as defined in the NICE TA130 for adalimumab▼, etanercept▼ and infliximab, and
• the manufacturer provides the first 12 weeks of certolizumab pegol▼ free of charge to all patients starting treatment.
More information is contained in the On the Horizon Stop Press No. 1135.
This fictional case study discusses Elizabeth, a 62 year old lady with symptoms of persistent synovitis and asks you to play the part of a GP. Working through this case study will help you to:
This fictional case study discusses Sarah, a 64 year old lady with established rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and asks you to play the part of her GP. Working through this case study will help you to: